Friday, February 5, 2010

Is it true that a mom looses 15 IQ points with each pregnancy?

I was told this was related to hormone changes effecting the brain and reducing it's effectiveness to process new information. If it is true do you get the function back or is it gone for good? Mom's are welcome to answer if you felt less capable mentally after your children were born.





No I'm not trying to be insulting. Pregnancy is hard on the body and there are so many changes that this seems possible. Is it true that a mom looses 15 IQ points with each pregnancy?
Wow, I'm not sure. I have never heard about this. But when I had my daughter and was pregnant with her I was always forgetting things. I got so annoyed with myself. lol Sooo it could be. Now that my bundle of happiness has been around for awile, I'm more aware and not so forgetful. So it's very possible!





This question was very informative to me...thanks for asking it =]Is it true that a mom looses 15 IQ points with each pregnancy?
Wow, I hadn't heard this, but it explains a lot. Or maybe I did hear it and forgot (ha, ha).





Seriously, I don't believe it. 15 points is a huge drop in IQ. It would drop you about 15-30% in terms of where you stand in the IQ distribution. It's highly unlikely.





I think the more logical explanation is that sleep deprivation, stress, and obsession with the new baby temporarily affect mental functioning. During those newborn days, I always felt like my body kept going, but my mind would sometimes just shut down. I would forget what I was doing, where I was going, or what I had started to say. Fortunately, once you start to sleep again and get used to all the new routines, you get your brain back. (Assuming, of course, that I remember right).
wow Ive never heard this... I would say you would gain more because of all the new things you have to learn. but if you loose it, maybe thats why my other halfs grandma is the way she is.. she had 14 kids!


I should add that they do say you forget things easier while prego. which Ive noticed to be true, but the actual IQ I dont know
probably tru. my wife got really forgetful when she was prego.

No comments:

Post a Comment