Friday, February 12, 2010

Is it true that first time moms deliver late?

I keep hearing if it's your first you're going to deliver late, as in after your due date. Is this true with a low risk normal pregnancy? Any reason why?Is it true that first time moms deliver late?
Nope just a wives tale.


everyone is different. Is it true that first time moms deliver late?
sometimes it depends on the person and the baby like if it's big for it's time or just not ready.

Report Abuse



Statistically yes, first time moms tend to go a bit 'late.' But for individual moms, you can deliver 'early', on your due date or 'late' and be perfectly normal.





(Due dates are just estimates. 40 weeks is a nice round figure, (no pun intended...) but it doesn't mean that it's when every baby is 'cooked.'
yes, you are more likely to go past due if you are a first time mom. It's just because your body has never done it before. With subsequent pregnancies your body remembers and everything happens faster. Labor starts faster after the baby drops, labor starts earlier, labor goes faster, you don't push as long, and your milk comes in faster.
More often than not, first time moms will go overdue. My mom's friend was due March 29, 2007 and didn't have her baby until April 10, 2007. I, on the other hand, for my first, was due March 27, 2007 and had her March 25, 2007.





Not every first-time mom goes overdue, but studies have shown that the majority do.
i delivered 6 days early with my son, and hoping to make it just as close or closer to EDD with this baby. first pregnancies are usually ';rougher'; as far as labor goes, with subsequent deliveries being quicker and easier usually...but i doubt its been proven that first pregnancies are longer, it just depends on how ready the baby is and whether there were any other complications.



I went into labor on my due date Dec 31st and had my daughter 3 hrs into the next day Jan 1st..does that count? LOL





One thing I have noticed and this is not true for everyone but first time moms are a bit more anxious(sometimes) and sometimes that slows labor down. I counteracted that with lots of reading and talking and..sex..LOL
There is a tendency to deliver earlier on subsequent pregnancies, but other than that it depends on the pregnancy. I delivered 4 days before my due date, but a friend delivered a preemie 3 months early on her first try. Preterm labor can happen to anybody.
Most first time moms deliver after their due date. I don't know why. My daughter was over 2 weeks late and if she had come a day later they were going to induce me. Then every pregnancy after I'm told you have a higher chance of going into labor earlier.
I think this is what happens over 50% of the time, but it is not for sure. You never know.. when I was pregnant with my first, they always said, ';the baby will come when he wants to';, but they ended up inducing me 2 days before my due date...
My doctor said MOST first time moms deliver either two weeks early or two weeks late. I had my first child last week (September 3rd) but wasn't due until the 19th. So I delivered TWO weeks early. The answer to your question could be YES or NO. It really depends and is really situational.
my friend had her baby boy 4 weeks ago... her due date was yesterday... so no its not true everyone goes late lol jst be prepared as much as possible in case u go early cos my friend thought she would have time in the last four weeks to get bits and bobs... and surprise surprise baby showed early!
Each pregnancy is different so I will not generalise. But I was a week late for my first daughter. May be because the body is new to this!


Second time everyone knows what to expect and what to do.
No. I've found the opposite is true. For every rule there is an exception. Most first time moms have a longer labor - but, that's not always true, either.
According to most studies and doctors only 8-10% of women deliver on their actual due date. For most first time moms, they don't try to induce or even worry until you cross into week 42.



For some, my sis was 2weeks late for my mum. I'm the second child and i came on time :D And that is the only thing i've even been on time for.
i was my moms first time pregnancy and i was 10 days late and my sister was 1 day late.





idk for sure, but thats what happened to me
No that's not true you you baby will say when he or she is ready...They say the 2nd pregnancy should be easier but mine isn't
I delivered late, but it is definately not true with all first pregnancies
I had a perfectly normal pregnancy, and I had my first son early.
I think they tend to go past their due date more often, but it's not a hard and fast rule. Every pregnancy is different.
my first son was two weeks late my other three sons were two weeks early and i am hoping my girl is going to be right on time:)
I delivered a week early
First preg delivered 5 days early
This is a generalisation and can't be proved. Some are early some are late!
I delivered a weak early with my 1st one, but I have heard that it is common.
not all - my first was born exactly on the due date -so there's at least one instance where the baby wasn't late
No I was first born and I came out on my due date



No. I was 2 weeks early.
Some due and some don't. Mine was 3 days late.
no i was first nd i was a preme
i hear they always deliver early guess i'll find out

No comments:

Post a Comment