Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My mom said that body weight has an effect on how heavy my period flow is. Is that true?

it is true, if ur skinny but unhealthy u will start to miss periods, stress also makes u miss ur periods, nerves. if u gain weight, flow will increase, junk food might entend ur period. so on chemicals u knowMy mom said that body weight has an effect on how heavy my period flow is. Is that true?
It can do. I'm going to try and explain this in brief (it's quite complicated, but I'll only put in parts necessary to the question asked):





Oestrogen and progesterone are two female hormones that have key roles during the menstrual cycle and they control how thick the blood lining in your uterus is; basically oestrogen causes the blood lining to grow whilst progesterone thins it (therefore together, they help maintain the lining by balancing out each other). Your period i.e. the bleeding, begins when levels of progesterone and oestrogen fall very low.





Now, fat can convert certain certain other hormones in your body to oestrogen, meaning that fat women make more oestrogen than women with average weight. This excess oestrogen may cause the blood lining of the uterus to become slightly thicker so it can result in a heavier bleed. However, it should only be on the heavier side of normal. If the bleeding is abnormally heavy so that it interferes with your lifestyle, that is a problem and not related to the weight, and you should see a doctor.





On the flipside, if you are very underweight, your periods are more prone to shut down; this is because your body is trying to reserve energy to your main organs and sees reproduction as secondary to maintaining survival. Furthermore, as the whole point of periods is to prepare a woman for pregnancy, if she's underweight she cannot support a baby so it's pointless even having periods to begin with.





It's important to add that weight is not a prerequisite for heavy periods. Slim girls can have heavy bleeds as there are many other factors. However, as I say, this is quite a deep topic, but this is the long and short of it to try to answer your question specifically. Hope it helps.My mom said that body weight has an effect on how heavy my period flow is. Is that true?
untrue my sister is skinny and I am fat she has super heavy periods and I have light periods.


parents and doctors love to blame things on your weight they did it ti me for years then I got a good doctor and he found the REAL problem instead of just calling me fat.
I've seen very thin people get very heavy periods and heavy people get them heavy also. I think how heavy you bleed has nothing to do with body weight.
its a lie!!


I have a friend and she is BIG!!! like 300 pounds and she can almost seriously not use anything in her period and she would be fine
Thats a lie!


My friend is uber slim and gets them heavy, and im fat and get them heavy.


:)



she is ryt..


excessive weight gaun can cause irregular n heavy periods..
She's full of it, or just a little ditzy.
can be true we all different
that is a big fat lie.
i think thats a lie!


  • pale skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment