Sunday, February 7, 2010

OMG!! is it true an adoptive mom can breastfeed??? this would be wonderful?

My sister is adopting a child and I just happened to see a question about breastfeeding saying yes you can be given a drug to induce milk production? but some said no, not true...any medical professionals able to comment if this is factual or not?OMG!! is it true an adoptive mom can breastfeed??? this would be wonderful?
Go to


http://breast-feeding.adoption.com/?url=鈥?/a>


to see lots of articles and information on breastfeeding an adopted child.





And here is La Leche League's information on adoption %26amp; breastfeeding:


http://www.llli.org/FAQ/adopt.html





Another interesting article:


http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/2005鈥?/a>


and


http://www.webmd.com/baby/breastfeeding-鈥?/a>


(scroll to the bottom of this one)OMG!! is it true an adoptive mom can breastfeed??? this would be wonderful?
Yes it is possible my Aunt did this with her adopted son. A woman has to take hormones and she will typical not have enough milk to sustain the baby on that alone. But it offers a bonding experience for mother and child.
Yes, Ive heard of it too. She may need help with teh hormones getting started but Ive heard its entirelypossible. Try askgin at www.lalecheleague.com . They would be the BEST peopel to tell you where to go for help on this.
yes, its possible, there is a drug to make you produce milk
no, I don't see how that would be possible. I know someone who tried it, and it didn't work.
Yes, she can
It is possible, however, I learned when I looked into it that if the mom has never had a baby before, it is unlikely that she will produce more than a spoonful or so. If she has lactated before, relactation is more successful.
yes it is possible...but like any other medical treatment there are risk factors involved.
Some say they can. I had a friend who tried it and couldn't, then tried the ';tube'; next to her nipple with formula but that didn't work well either. She was optimistic but had too much angst over it so quit and just bottle fed. Both mother and baby were less stressed and happier as a result.





I bottle fed my first baby and breast fed the second. There is no difference in bonding or loving them. Your sis should go with what is manageable for her. Breast feeding doesn't make you ';more'; a mother.





Strictly speaking as a nurse, I wouldn't want to be injected with hormones to bring on an artificial condition, but that's me...to each his own.
true
Yes, the LLL website has information on it. My scrapbooking friend used a supplemental system for a couple of months, but was able to produce enough milk for the baby without taking any hormones.





Note: if you want to breastfeed, don't mention it on your homestudy. The Chinese frown upon this for some reason. I don't know about other countries, but you should just know about it.
I didn't know about that. you might want to check with a doctor
Some women experience pseudo pregnancies. They want to conceive so badly they breasts actually swell and they start producing milk. Their abdomens will swell out as well. They feel phantom kicks and may start producing some pregnancy hormones.





If all that is possible I don't see why taking a medication to stimulate milk production would be far fetched. Do some research on it. Ask your doctor or have her ask hers. It sounds like a good idea to me...a great way to bond with your adoptive child.
I have heard it is possible, but my sis and another friend who both adopted tried it, and nothing...Good luck to her though
Yes, it is possible for your sister to breastfeed her adopted child. She will need some medical support and contacting La Leche League for support is probably a good idea. If she can get the baby to latch on, she could use a supplemental tube to keep the baby interested in case she does not produce very much milk.





If your sister knows the expectant mother of the child and hopes to have a relationship with her (like an open adoption), I think that it would be a good idea for her to clear it with the expectant mom first. The expectant mom might get hurt and even angry if she doesn't know about it ahead of time.
I did it. There is a drug you can take but also stimulating the breast helps. I started doing it with a breast pump and also used a supplemental feeder that was a tube that went around my neck and down to the nipple. Most OB/GYn offices have breast feeding expert there. contact them for help
Yes, this is absoulutely true. You must see your baby health clinic, and a good obstetrician, and they will be able to assist you in a combination of drugs and breast stimulation treatments. I firmly believe that all children should have the right to experience nursing, and if possible this is what you should do.


Good luck to you, and enjoy your breastfeeding experience.
Anything is possible. Remember, she will be getting hormones (and probably a pretty strong dose) so you may need to bear with some moodiness.
YES ITS TRUE :-)





Like I said in the other question. My son was thought to have PKU at birth and the docs were talking to me about having the shot so I can produce milk for him. It can take a while for it to come in so If she's sure about the adotion and the want to breast feed then she should notify her GYN so they can set it up. She still may have to supliment though.
When she has to wake up at 3 in the morning to breastfeed, she'll think twice about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment