Friday, February 5, 2010

My mom says I can't get a ferret because they smell really bad, is this true?

My mom hates cats because they smell bad and every time tell her i want a ferret she says no no no they smell way worse than cats! Is this true? how can i convince her to let me get one? How can i de-smellify a ferret?My mom says I can't get a ferret because they smell really bad, is this true?
“Ferrets are smelly.” “Ferrets make the house stink.” These are comments that you will hear from people who listen to myths concerning ferrets. It is true, to an extent. Ferrets are capable of stinking up the place – but only if they are frightened, and not de-scented. Obviously, there are a couple of ways to get rid of this problem – don’t frighten the ferret, and get him de-scented.











Ferrets have a certain odor, just like all animals have a distinctive odor. Yes, we all stink to other animals. Everyone assumes they smell horribly! My ferrets don't stink at all to me, I use Bi-Odor, and when I ran out of it last week I could really tell a difference in the smell of their litter pan. We also wash their bedding weekly, and also clean the cage weekly. Their litter pan gets dumped daily and I also have an air cleaner for my allergies. These are things you have to do if you want to keep their cage clean and smelling fresh. I still say my hamster smells worse then my ferrets.








there you go hope i helped xoxooxMy mom says I can't get a ferret because they smell really bad, is this true?
Yes! They are very smelly and quickly get messy if you don't clean them out frequently! Unneutered males are the most pungent but to be honest even the females smell! And they do smell worse than cats... in fact worse than most other common pets, I'm afraid!





Please don't think I hate ferrets; they are very lovely, friendly and inquisitive animals but they really do smell bad. I've looked after them for people before and I don't think I'd want one in the house permanently.





Personally I don't think cats smell that bad though... maybe I'm just used to the smell of mine!





While it would be nice if you Mom let you have a pet, you have to be fair on her too since she'll have to live with it as well. It can't always be 'I want so why not?' in life. And if she's sensitive to smells a ferret really wouldn't be a good idea. If you just argue with your Mom chances are she just won't let you have anything anyway just to be stubborn!





If you really want a pet, so some research and discuss with her what would be a good pet for you that would also not be offensive for the rest of the household! Show that you can be understanding and compromise but impress upon her that you really would like a pet and are responsible enough to look after it.
Ferrets do smell more than a cat. In america they do a procedure to descent the ferret, which removes their scent glands, which they use to spray a musk when scared. We don't do it in australia, no point, ive only been sprayed once and that was when a dog tried to eat my ferret. De-sexing either sex of ferret will reduce the smell dramatically! Also if the ferret has a very good diet the smell will be less than if they were fed on crappy food.


My suggestion is to find a ferret shelter/rescue and volunteer there, they always need someone to do they feeding, litter change, play times etc, plus you get hands on experience with ferrets. Then you can deal with your mums opposition later, lol. Maybe once she sees that you are going to the effort she will compromise. Also they could be kept in your room.
Un neutered males smell, females smell faintly, Neutered males don't smell, females have to be spayed or given yearly injections otherwise they can die, so either sex is non smelly but both need the OP. for different reasons, also it depends if they are going to live in or out doors, I keep two neutered males indoors, they smell less than my daughters dog.
Yes they do stink.





Ferrets are related to the skunk. They have the same oder that a skunk would have. I believe you can get them de-skunked so they don't smell but I don't know how much that would cost.





Ask for a guinea pig. They are just as cute, easy to take care of and don't stink.
See they do stink but you can get a type of gravel that won't make it have a smell at all.I had a ferret and he didn't stink.If you want you can buy a candle that sucks in the smell ,but there expensive.
YES! I think they probably do!

No comments:

Post a Comment