Friday, February 5, 2010

Is it true that feminists --or modern women in general--view ';stay at home mom'; as an invalid occupation?

We stay at home moms get very disrespected these days, even though statistically we are on the rise. The women that somehow think that me staying home is a cop out is hysterical to me because in my opinion I think they are cowards for not putting their own selfish ambitions aside and putting their children's needs first.


Family is whats most important in life and I will never have to look my kids in the eye and answer as to why making money was more important than giving them the love, time and attention they needed.


I would dare any career woman to do what I do all day. I have three children 7, 5, and 2. I home school the two older kids and make it fun and challenging to the point that they are both 2 grades ahead of their public school friends. Help my husband run our general contracting business. And have a small custom jewelry business on the side. I can drop anything I'm doing to tend to my children's needs, keep a house clean and running smoothly, and I cook all my meals from scratch.


I love my life and am very happy in my CHOSEN OCCUPATION!


*** I'm laughing at the idea that we collect well fare checks!! I live in a beautiful custom 5 bedroom home, own a sperate home that we have renter's in, and have a sperate 5 acre land parcel for camping and fishing on. The very idea that all SAHM's are well fare bound is pathetic . The majority of the mothers I know are SAHM and most live in upper middle class neighborhoods.


Winter, my husband treats my job as being 20 times more impotant than his. What could be more important than raising human beings to be kind, loving, respectful, and prosperous members of society??!!*****Is it true that feminists --or modern women in general--view ';stay at home mom'; as an invalid occupation?
Neo's answer is a perfect example of the modern feminist mindset. It's not good enough to actually, like, raise the kid that you carried in your body for 9 whole months. It's not a legitimate thing to do.





Does that seem wrong to anyone else? Why have a child if you aren't going to raise it??








(sorry to single you out, hun - I have nothing against you personally, but your answer was just what I hear all the time on this place)








EDIT


';In a perfect world a mother could stay home all day and play with her kids, in fact that is many mothers' dream. ';





You think that's all it takes to raise a child? You're in for a surprise when you have one of your own. lol It's so much more than just playing - you have to teach them who they are, how to express themselves, how to walk and talk and feed themselves....how to become independent, capable adults.





'; I don't understand why exactly a mother has to sacrifice her career to clean diapers and collect wellfare cheques.';





If both parents are working, who is going to raise the child? Strangers? Why have a child if neither parent is willing to stay home and raise him?








Working isn't wrong - but putting your job over your kids *is*.Is it true that feminists --or modern women in general--view ';stay at home mom'; as an invalid occupation?
I am a stay at home mom with little kids and a great husband. We live in a nice house and have nice things. My children live a good life and they love being able to know mommy is home when they get home and that they will never have to go to daycare at someone else's home. My children are happy and healthy and love their stay at home mommy.





Plus, I work just as hard, if not harder than most career women out there.
That view can't even remotely be applied to only feminists, or even only women. Lots of people think that way. It's obviously an occupation as it occupies the bulk of one's time, but it doesn't fit the traditional view of what one considers a career where one earns money.
Unfortunately some women do, like this neo girl.





FYI neo i am a SAHM i work hard here every day and on top of that take care of my disabled grandmother. i do not collect welfare nor will i ever. i also do not just sit on my butt all day and playing with my kids is not my only job! i also cook and clean and pay the bills and buy the groceries and do the laundry and take them out and make sure they get lots of exercise nurse them when they are sick or hurt. giving up my career outside the home for now was not a sacrifice, letting someone else get paid to my job while i pursue a career would be a sacrifice. as long as they make sure someone responsible is raising your kids for you while you go out and work there is nothing wrong with a mother having a job outside the home, but do not trash mothers who can afford to care for their children themselves without welfare!
I know SAHM's whose husbands treat them as though they're performing an invalid occupation.





April...I was a SAHM, my husband wasn't one of them. But I had friends of mine whose husbands did...okay?





http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;鈥?/a>


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;鈥?/a>


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;鈥?/a>


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;鈥?/a>
I stayed home with my kids until my mother-in laws whingeing sent me back to work. My Husband was quite happy for me to decide when and if, I went back to work. Unfortunately jealousy raised It's ugly head (she was a widow, and had to work), she called me a bludger and a sponge to anyone who would listen, so I went back to work part-time when my middle child started school to minimise any negative impact on him. No sooner had I started doing this that she started asking '; When are you going back to FULL TIME work?';


Glad to say I still haven't and my children are thriving.
Most feminists view a minimum wage daycare worker and McDonald's drive through as the same thing as mothering their child.
I am sure some do, but I know many who have done it especially before their children were in school. To me its a choice. I don't think I could ever do it...though 1/2 days may be nice, but I think its a choice. If you and your partner can support your family still, go for it.
It's an invalid occupation for me, because I'd suck at it and I have no reason to want it. It's a valid occupation for women who are actually cut out for it.
All I have to say is were can I find a woman like April The Great?! No disrespect to your husband, but I'm in love with you.
No. My mom is a feminist and a SAHM.
No, it's not true.
no its not invalid!! its just that women should have the choice as to whether to stay at home or not.
Occupation: yes, because it ';occupies'; time.


Career/legitimate job: no, it's more of a cop out. How are you ever going to feed that child?





EDIT: In a perfect world a mother could stay home all day and play with her kids, in fact that is many mothers' dream. Unfortunately, to provide for those kids one must make MONEY and unless the father has an excellent career and brings home not only the bacon but then entire pig, mama's gotta go crunch numbers. My mom had a job and I turned out just fine; I don't understand why exactly a mother has to sacrifice her career to change diapers and collect wellfare cheques. Is it really that beneficial to the child in the long run?








EDIT: Me, modern feminist? *Vomits onto floor*. But no really, a mother can still be a mother without being around every waking second. I can't wrap my mind around what is so wrong with working, I really truly can not.





EDIT: You don't have to stay home to teach your kids everything that you mentioned. I'm a pretty solid character and my parents were in the work force during my childhood.





Also, are you saying that one should abstain from having children if one parent will not stay home? Not everyone has the luxury of being able to do that.





And for the record it's called maternity leave.
I don't look at raising a child as a job or career


It's just something you do, being a ';mom'; who happens to stay at home isn't a job to me, unless she has a job at home in her office or on the computer, while staying at home to watch her kids, then I would look at that as a job
Yep. Money in general is more important than your kids, and hence it is an ';invalid occupation';.
Trick question!





It's neither invalid, nor an occupation.

No comments:

Post a Comment