Sunday, February 7, 2010

My Mom said it's better to leave my computer on rather than turn it off & on during the day. Is that true? Why?

I was over at my Mom's %26amp; she wanted to go shopping. I asked her if she was going to turn off her computer, but she said it's better to just leave it on rather than turn it off. So I was wondering, if I turn my computer on when I get up in the morning %26amp; then I have to go run a few errands, should I turn my computer off or just leave it on all day %26amp; turn it off when I go to bed?My Mom said it's better to leave my computer on rather than turn it off %26amp; on during the day. Is that true? Why?
While turning your PC on and off intermittently can consume more electricity, that's not the case for the Standby option.





Just put your PC on standby, and turn it off when you go ta bed. ;)My Mom said it's better to leave my computer on rather than turn it off %26amp; on during the day. Is that true? Why?
Your Mom is relying on old computer practices and outdated advice, sorry Mom.





Windows is so ';NOT Secure';, it has to be turned off, if idle for more than an hour (my best practice). Not Standby, not Hibernate; fully powered off!





This has nothing to do with saving electricity. Windows is like a ';security sieve'; when connected to the web. And the biggest threat is ';zero-day'; malware, that gets on your system and has time to wreak havoc before your Anti-malware tools can be updated to remove it.
The true math is in the numbers called WATS. Read the panel on the back of any appliance and read how many pennies per hour you are throwing away. The very worst are those little transformers all sitting on a power strip sucking away the kilowats. We call those little transformers ';vampires';.





Read the link below. Leaving a computer on all the time is a significant cost factor.
The power benefits of turning it off are negligible. The benefits of not having to wait 5-10 minutes for it to start every time you want to use it are quickly noticable. I've had computers run for 400 days or better before shutting them down. You might look into suspending or hibernating the computer when you're not using it.
Yes, your mom is right. Dont turn of your computer.


I leave mine 24 hours a day.


It is important that because when the computer heats up, and turn ut off it will cool down, so it is harmful for some chips in your computer
leave it on, it takes more power to turn it on and off again then to just leave it on
my moms told me tha same thing and i knew she was right cuz i always leave it on when i go somewhere cuz im never really home but it takes less power its jus easier
no.. ... cuz if u leave it all day onn it wil burn thats y ur mom iz telling u to do that
Put it on stand by ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment