Sunday, February 7, 2010

Is it true you should NEVER tell people you have two jobs? My mom's yelling at me because I told my co-worker?

I have two hourly retail jobs.. I'm 17 years old and my mom is yelling at me non-stop because I told one of my coworkers I have two jobs..Is it true you should NEVER tell people you have two jobs? My mom's yelling at me because I told my co-worker?
It is fine to talk about your second job at work as long as you are not making comparisons. For example you should not express that your other job is better or pays more. This will make the manager feel as though you are not a team player and that you may be the first to go.





I can see where your mom is coming from because if they need to make cuts on hours at work it will be easier for them to cut you because you have something to fall back on. It is a way for them to feel less guilty. I know this seems far fetched but when I managed an office that was always something which was considered.Is it true you should NEVER tell people you have two jobs? My mom's yelling at me because I told my co-worker?
I can see your mother's point.





If both of your employers know that you have two jobs, they may put you at the top of the list of people to let go if they have to do layoffs -- because they may think, ';Well, you still have your other job, so this won't hurt you much.';


.
Well, probably best not to broadcast it. Makes them think you have split loyalty.
You can tell people you have two jobs if you like, but when you are a minor you are only permitted to work a certain amount of hours and your mother knows this and is worried encase someone reports this and then you'll have to deal with that.
I think it would be totally fine to talk about two jobs.


When I was an employer of teen staff, I appreciated knowing that someone had two jobs so that I could avoid scheduling hassles.
Ask mom why! Maybe she knows something you don't or maybe she is misinformed about something. Talk to her.
I don't think that's necessarily true that you should never talk about that. It might be a worse idea in some companies than others, but having worked a *lot* of retail in the past, I don't think this is probably one of those cases. Your mom might just be overreacting because she is worried about your job security.





Some companies have policies against holding second jobs, also called moonlighting. I don't think this is very common anymore, but unless you are 100% positive about the company policy, it might be something she's concerned about.





She might also be worried that your boss may see you as more expendable because you have another source of income, so if there are any layoffs you might be easier for them to let go. Also probably not a real concern as most companies look more at seniority and job performance when keeping or cutting employees.





Try getting your mom to have a calm conversation about why exactly she is so upset. My guess is she's worried about something like this. If you can find out why she is upset, maybe you can calm her down with solid answers about your company's policy.
Where I work, we are obligated to tell the employer that we have another job. So in that situation, both employers should know about each other. If that's the case, then there's no need for secrecy.
  • pale skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment